top of page


What is a Placement Agent?

When choosing a community, there are number of  variables one would consider; Cost, care needs, amenities, location, just to name a few. Rather than an individual spending hours of time researching communities, a placement agent can specifically match your needs in a matter of minutes.

Placement agent's can also help to schedule tours, answer questions, and even join on tours to provide extra support. They also can act as a 'middle-man', so that an individual won't have to deal with calls or emails between communities. 

How is Silver Solutions a free service?

Silver Solutions is able to provide free services to our client because we are  compensated by the community/facility that the individual chooses. 

What is Senior Living?

The term "Senior Living" is an umbrella term that includes many types of communities that involve seniors. These include Independent senior housing, assisted living (RCFE), memory care, board and cares, and nursing homes. 

*What are RCFE's?

RCFE means "Residential Care Facility for the Elderly." It is the term California state laws use to refer to assisted living facilities. The terms 'RCFE' and 'assisted living' mean the same thing.  All RCFEs are licensed by the Department of Social Services (DSS), Community Care Licensing Division (CCL) and must comply with Title 22 regulations. RCFEs can be as small as 2 beds, or as big as 2,000 beds.

*Are 'Board and Care' facilities the same thing as an RCFE?

Yes.  A 'Board and Care' facility is an RCFE.  Board and care is an out-dated term used to describe a small RCFE, located in a residential home, caring for 2 to 6 residents. An RCFE can be as small as 2 beds, and as large as 2,000:  each of them is a residential care facility for the elderly (RCFE).

*Is an RCFE the same as Independent Living?

No. Independent living means a place where a person lives independently, making independent choices about how they live, what they do, and when they do it. A person living independently can have services such as care, supervision, help with medications, food preparation, or help in handling money from a third-party provider. The independent living setting is usually a house where several people live together. They share common rooms, but they have private or shared bedrooms. Independent living facilities are not licensed. When independent living units are attached to a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), they become part of the licensed RCFE.

Does insurance cover assisted living?

Assisted living is primarily paid for by individuals’ private or personal funds. Medicare does not cover long-term supports and services. Long-Term Insurance can be used to cover any costs related to assisted care. 

What is Long-Term Care Insurance?

Long-term care (LTC) insurance is coverage that provides nursing-home care, home-health care, personal or adult day care for individuals age 65 or older or with a chronic or disabling condition that needs constant supervision. LTC insurance offers more flexibility and options than many public assistance programs.

*If I am on a limited income, what are my options?

The Assisted Living Waiver Program (ALWP) is managed by California's Department of Health Care Services.  The program is designed to help Medi-Cal recipients stay in an assisted living facility instead of living in a skilled nursing facility; Medi-Cal funding pays for care delivered in the assisted living setting.

RCFEs must be enrolled in the program to receive payment from the government for the services they provide to the resident.  And residents must be enrolled in the program to received care from the ALWP provider.  

The ALWP pays for care delivered by the RCFE, but residents are responsible for paying for their room and board costs. Resident's receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) can use their SSI money to help pay for room and board.

*Source: Choose Well San Diego:

bottom of page